Perfectly equipped for playing games, Ethernet cable comes in handy when you require an uninterrupted connection while playing. Who would want their connection to drop in the middle of a vigorous game? Different Ethernet cables come with different functions which makes the purchase difficult.
If you are a beginner, do not be concerned. This article would give you an account of what to look for in an Ethernet cable. With our beginner's guide and top 5 list of Ethernet cable, your purchase will be as smooth as your gaming experience.
Picking a suitable Ethernet cable can be a more daunting task than it meets the eye. Length, frequency, speed, and electromagnetic shielding must be considered. This article would go through each of these points.
Frequently Used Ethernet Cables for Gaming
CAT-5 e or CAT-6 is more frequently used when it comes to gaming. However, if you are looking for something faster, you can always pick CAT-7 or CAT-8. Not only are these cables fast but also trustworthy.
Overwhelmed by the technical language? Don’t worry! Let us explain to you the function of each.
CAT-5e is a modified version of CAT-5. This version reduces noise in signals. The Cat5e cable is suitable for any modern network. With 10/100 Mbps and 1000 Mbps, it is perfect for normal use.
CAT- 6 can support a bandwidth of the Ethernet cable up to 250 MHz of frequency. These cords have thin wires and improved insulation that allows only the important interference to pass.
Cat7 cable is completely shielded and has SSTP. It can support bandwidths of up to 600 MHz The insulation and shielding layers make this cable heavy and hard to fold.
CAT- 8 is the latest category. Data transfer is faster compared to Cat7 and Cat6a cables.
This cable is usually less flexible and is not easy to install in places that are narrow or tight.
Cables that are shielded by an electromagnet
Electromagnetic shielding is consequential as the copper wire inside the plastic cover of the wire shields the cables. This has the function to eradicate interrupted and loss of data while transmitting the signal.
Types of Cable
There are four types of cable.
- UTP (Unshielded twisted pair)
- FTP (Foiled twisted pair)
- STP (Shielded twisted pair)
- SFTP (Shield Foil Twisted Pair)
UTP is one of the least expensive as it does not provide shielding compared to the other 3 types that provide shielding. UTP can be considered if you are looking for a basic connection and not something extravagant.
Length of cable
If these cables are longer, there would be a greater loss in data. To find the ideal one, measure the distance from the router/ modem to the device where you want to insert the cable.
Frequency of Cable
Higher frequency would generally mean lesser interference. This means the internet connection would be maximum.
Flat cable vs. Rounded Cables
Flat cables run smoothly and slide easily under carpets or through walls. However, rounded cables are more likely to crush which breaks the wire inside the cable.
Copper cables vs. aluminum cables
Beware! You might often get deceived by aluminum cables coated with copper. 100% copper has a higher tensile strength. Also, conductivity is higher in pure gold. The pure copper cable might be a bit expensive, but they are more sustainable and provide excellent results.
Materials of Cable
The materials of the cable must be suitable for the type and category of the cable. It is the quality of the materials of the cable that would determine the cost of the cable.
*Tip: Look at the packaging and the installation of the cable to understand the category of the cable.
Best Ethernet Cable for Gaming (Overview)
Jadaol Cat 6 Ethernet Cable
Unique flat cable.
Gold plated connectors
Completely made from copper wire.
Allows to choose from CAT-6 and CAT-7
The transfer is faster with CAT-6 cable (up to 10 Gbps/s with the max bandwidth of 250MHz.)
Dacrown CAT-8 Ultra-Fast Rounded Cable
Suitable for 25GBASE-T and 40GBASE-T applications
Compatible with all previous versions
The RJ45 connector is gold plated.
Up to 40Gbps data can be transmitted at a faster rate.
AmazonBasis CAT-6 Rounded Cable
Gold-plated RJ45 Connectors.
Free of corrosion
Transmit data at speed of 1000 Mbps.
Length from 3ft - 50ft is available.
DbillionDa StoreCat8 Ethernet Cable
The 4 S/FTP and one strand of OFC wires are available.
Data transmission is faster up to 40Gbps.
Upgraded PVC jacket.
Double-shielded RJ45 connectors at two ends.
RJ45 connectors are compatible with previous versions.
It can tolerate extreme weather.
Warranty for 18 months.
Smolink ethernet gaming cable
Design is Snagless.
Moulded strain relief
Contacts are gold plated.
TPE cable jacket
Best Ethernet Cable for Gaming (Review)
1. Jadaol Cat 6 Ethernet Cable (ASIN: B00WD017GQ)
- Comes with 15 cable clips. Therefore, you do not need to buy it separately.
- RJ45 connectors plated by 50-micron gold ensure less noise.
- Universal connectivity through RJ45 Ethernet Patch Cable. It is compatible with PCs, Xbox, gaming, etc.
- The transfer is faster with CAT-6 cable (up to 10 Gbps/s).
- Cat 6 has a maximum bandwidth of up to 250 MHz
- UTP(Unshielded Twisted Pair) cable with RJ45 gold-plated Connectors are completely made of copper wire
- The flat shape of the cable allows for a safer installation.
- Dimension: 3.5 x 3.5 x 0.4 inches
- Weight: 10.4 ounces
- Color: Available in 10 different colors.
Gaming becomes smooth with the Ethernet cable from Jadaol. The gold plated connectors and high bandwidth give better speed and connectivity without losing any data. Installation is easy with the flat wire. It can be connected to many devices and provide a wider usage to the users. Made from pure copper, this cable has better longevity. You do not need to buy additional clippings during installation as it comes with the purchase of this cable.
2. Dacrown CAT-8 Ultra-Fast Rounded Cable (ASIN: B07QZDYPSW)
- Cat 8 SFTP Ethernet cable provides a higher bandwidth, as it has a frequency of 2 GHz.
- This cable is suitable for 25GBASE-T and 40GBASE-T networks which enable data to be transmitted at a faster rate.
- It is compatible with previous versions
- The rj45 connector is gold plated making it secure for TV, laptop, pc, modems, PS3, PS4, X-box, etc.
- With a core made of pure copper, a shield made of aluminum foil and woven mesh, and RJ45 connector made of gold-plating.
- It is water-resistant and is not prone to corrosion.
- Dimension of packaging: 7.1 x 6.5 x 2.3 inches
- Weight: 1.5 Pounds
Dacrown is a brand that specializes in producing Ethernet cables. Their Category 8 cable is appropriate for 25GBASE-T and 40GBASE-T applications. Dacrown CAT-8 Ultra-Fast Rounded Cable is suitable if your internet connection is high speed. It is weatherproof and is suitable for modern gaming.
Available in various lengths from 1.5 ft-150 ft, these cables provide a wider range of length. If you have any previous version of RJ45 equipment, this cable would even be functional for them.
3. AmazonBasis CAT-6 Rounded Cable (ASIN: B0134QJH4G)
- Cat-6 Ethernet patch cable provides a bandwidth of 250 MHz
- Gold plated RJ45 keeps corrosion away.
- Data is transmitted without loss at speeds up to 1 Gigabit per second.
- Length: 3ft - 50ft.
- Dimension: 8.26 x 1.49 x 8.26 inches
- Weight: 14.8 ounces
- Color: Black
AmazonBasics line provides its users with sustainable products at a reasonable price. Network connection, variety in length, connectors made of gold wire, and a faster connection make this Ethernet cable secure and competitive for gaming.
4. DbillionDa StoreCat8 Ethernet Cable (ASIN: B07QLXC6QR)
- The 4 S/FTP with and one strand of OFC wires (26AWG) promote a bandwidth up to 2000MHz.
- Data transmission is faster up to 40Gbps.
- No interference in the signal.
- The 4 S/FTP provides the highest network for a wider range of data transmission without noise.
- The upgraded PVC makes this cable waterproof and free of corrosion.
- It is thicker.
- The double-shielded RJ45 connectors at two ends are perfect to work with the networking switch, PS3, PS4, X-box, laptop, etc.
- RJ45 connectors are compatible with previous versions.
- High-quality PVC jackets resist UV.
- It can tolerate extreme weather.
- Warranty for 18 months and a lifetime of customer service is available.
- Dimension: 7.09 x 7.05 x 0.67 inches
- Weight: 3.52 ounces
DbillionDa StoreCat8 Ethernet Cable has a bandwidth of 2000 MHZ. It is suitable for all devices and ensures maximum speed, high network, and harsh weather. With this cable, the world of gaming becomes more colorful as it is perfectly compatible with your gaming device.
5. Smolink Ethernet gaming cable (ASIN: B086B NC6)
- Wire of the Ethernet cable is flat which can support up to 2000MHZ of bandwidth.
- Speed of data transmitting is 40Gbps.
- The super-speed cables are suitable for Indoor & Outdoor eradicating the tangling of wire.
- The STP of copper wires, the Rj45 Connectors make the cable durable.
- Fluke professional Cable Analyzers test was conducted on all the Cat 8 bulk cable.
- PVC jacket resists the cable from UV.
- It can tolerate harsh weather.
- This cable is suitable to work with not only gaming devices, such as PS3, PS4, Xbox but also with networking switch, routers, Nintendo switch, ADSL, Adapters, Modem, Cloud data Server, Patch Panels, Servers, Networking Printers, Netgear, TP-link, NAS, VoIP phones, laptop, Coupler, Hubs, Keystone jack, Smart TV, etc.
- Compatible with previous versions (Cat7/Cat5/Cat5e/Cat6/Cat6e)
- Provides a lifetime of the warranty. You would get your money back within a month of purchase.
- Dimension: 5.51 x 5.51 x 0.67 inches
- Weight: 5 ounces
It is black and 11 ft. in length. The numerous features of this Ethernet cable cater to your gaming needs. Smolink Ethernet gaming cable is easy to unplug, tangle-free and weather resistant. The gold plated contacts make sure that the signal remains uninterrupted and the data is not lost in the process. Strong and flexible, this cable can support a bandwidth of 2000 MHZ. The data transmission speed of 40 Gbps smoothens your gaming experience. The best part about this cable is its ability to connect to many devices. Refund is available within 30 days of purchase, and a lifetime of warranty is ensured by the manufacturer.
Lastly, buying an Ethernet cable with excellent bandwidth and sustainability would mean little if it does not fit your gaming device. Therefore, knowing your gaming device is the first step. A good Ethernet cable can be an excellent investment whether you are a hard-core gamer or you desire to have a smooth gaming experience. In a world of millions of Ethernet cables with similar features, it is not easy to differentiate authentic from inauthentic. That is where our review would help you. If you are a beginner, do not get tangled up in the technical language. We have simplified the technical language in layman terms for you to understand. Hope this helps. Happy purchase!